Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Ew. Seriously. Ew.

My best friend works at a local hospital as a CNA. I was thoroughly appalled when I learned last night that the standard for rinsing/cleaning bedpans and commodes at said hospital is for the CNAs to use a high-pressure faucet. Unbelievable. Not only is your CNA asked to spray your shit and water all over her arms and uniform, but they're caring for you after being sprayed with other people's shit. Wash your hands every three minutes, wear gloves, et cetera, but just carry around molecules of half a dozen folks' poo on your uniform. Why not?

Oh my god.

Even more mystifying is that I know this hospital is visited every so often by the state and by the Joint Commission. Does nobody have a standard for this? Is there seriously no best-practice recommendation in place? Why the fuck isn't the hospital using liners?

(This all came up because my best friend and I like to try to come with a brilliant invention that will make us enough money for her to pay for her parents' retirement in the Southwest and for me to open a cat café. Last night, she was like, "We should make liners for bedpans and commodes at the hospital." And I was all, "Uh. You guys don't have those?" And she said, "No! Are you kidding? We clean those like Neanderthals!" Sadly, a search this morning tells me that several such things are on the market. Now if only we can get them into my friend's workplace.)

No comments:

Post a Comment